dominated the two food majors of India in the field of biscuits and bakery products. fighting it out in market for the share of consumers pocket and market dominance .
In yester years it was market segments which both have dominated and not much was seen to disturb that arrangement.
Parle with its Parle G , Kraxkjack and manaco where as Britannia has Good day , Marie gold, Creams Britannia dominated the premium segment of biscuits where as parle dominated the mass ,low premium biscuits ,things were pretty predictable but for theentry of new players have changed that status .
History Of Britannia
The company was established in 1891, with an investment of Initially, biscuits were manufactured in a small house in central Kolkata.
The enterprise was acquired by the Gupta brothers mainly Nalin Chandra Gupta, a renowned attorney, and operated under V.K Brothers.
In 1918, C.H. Holmes, an English businessman in Kolkata, was taken on as a partner and The Britannia Biscuit Company Limited (BBCo) was launched.
History Of Parle
Parle began manufacturing biscuits in 1939. In 1947, when India became independent, the company launched an ad campaign, showcasing its Gluco biscuits as an Indian alternative to the British biscuits
Compare Between Britannia Vs Parle
- Entry of new players have changed that status . Now that ITC and Priya gold are trying to break into their market and have established them selves as important players in biscuit market .
- These two major biscuit producers has are now forced to innovate products by the consumers to create brands which could be differentiated .
- Both are trusted brand are ranked in top brands for biscuit ,both have a long history of brands .
- The Major difference though is that where Britannia is revenues from bakery products is around 90 % ,share of biscuit sales is around –80% for parle.
Recently two categories has seen major ad war are bourbon and salty snacks .
- Parle has come up with new bourbon under its hide and seek umbrella brand .
- Pitching against Britannia s popular bourbon which has 70% market share of the bourbon biscuits .
- Parle upped its TV ads by roping in Hritik roshan . Similarly Parle has re jigged its Krack Jack biscuits to Britannia’s 50- 50 eating up its market share .
- Krack Jacks with new packaging and TV ads of Krack and Jack promoting the brands . It would be interesting to see what impacts these would have on the sales of these two biscuits .
Description Britannia Parle
Established 1891 1929
Nature of business Public ltd Family run
No of manufacturing units 5 own ,40CMU 8 own units , 60 CMU
Market share ( value) 32.80% 32.94%
Ads Major methods Cricket events and players Celebrities endorse ment
New areas of promotion Environment Health and wellness
Important Brands Pitched Against Each Other
Category Britannia Parle
Glucose Tiger Parle G
Marie Marie Gold Parle Marie
Salty snacks 50-50 Krack Jack
Bourbon Bourbon Hide N seek
Cream Cream Treat Kreams
Cookie Good Day 20-20
Milk Milk Bikis Milk sakhti
check more detail:-
Did you find this information useful? Share it with your blogging friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus!